-->

Ryan Bailey & Cumberland Belle

Ryan Bailey & Cumberland Belle









Kentucky Shoes




I must say this is the first review I've done in along time. I guess it's also that I hate giving bad reviews and for the last three years that's all I feel I could give until now. I was only there to take photos, but as I was walking out to my car in the parking lot. I said to myself that it would be good to finally write a review that was good, maybe not well written, but at least having only positive things to say about Ryan Bailey & Cumberland Belle.

Ryan Bailey & Cumberland Belle played at the Pour House in Charleston South Carolina last night along with some other bands such as Kentucky Shoes, Firework Show, Milhouse, and Dangermuffin for the release of a compilation album named "Charleston Sound Presents..."

Ryan Bailey and the boys went on stage around eleven o'clock after Kentucky shoes, a bluegrass folk five man band, or should I say the two men, and three girl band. Ryan opened up with songs that he wrote some time ago. The set was a build up, from mellow rock such as "This house is not for sell" by Ryan Adams, to a rock your face cover "American Girl by Tom petty and heartbreakers." Ryan Played about an hour set with most of his rock folk style with his classic harmonics, with songs like still alive, and hide the faces. This whole playlist came together with Carl Wine's waling guitar slides that cry out with a peaceful whine, Parker Smith drum style with his hard hitting, soft indie country sound. Shawn Leiberknight had a sound of a Marshall Grant with a slight touch of rockabilly as he played bass guitar.

You might know Ryan Bailey as a worship leader for seacoast church, and you would think that with thousands of people knowing and watching him perform worship music, that every show he played with his own band, and own music that venues would be sold out. Something doesn't add up I thought as people trickled out the door after 11:30, maybe it was the fact it was a week night, and it was 11:30, but again it was at the Pour House. Enough said. My point is, where are all the ones who support him as a worship leader, and don't come to find his talent outside in the world. This was my first time going to one of shows with the whole band, but this isn't the first time I've seen Ryan play live and realized this.

Ryan has a voice mix of Ryan Adams, Joe Cocker and the Athens sound of Sawn Mullins. Alone two of these voices could get some what annoying, but Ryan does have his own voice that is pleasing to the ears and captivates you with his well thought out lyrics of the reality in life and love. His song writing is poetic and real.

The sound all together was very tight as a whole, and this wasn't a high school garage band showcase. This was a very mature band that has lots of talent and a very good future ahead of them. Ryan Bailey knows what he wants in his sound, and with Cumberland Belle they give Ryan just what he needs.

Check for upcoming shows
and contact him for booking

http://www.myspace.com/ryanbaileyband




-john lotterhos
indiesundayphotography
www.indiesunday.com

No comments:

Post a Comment